Welcome!
FiberBabble Home





The Birthday Post

July 30, 2010

Abandoned book "Black" by Ted Dekker ♦♦◊◊◊



TunebaseTHIS is what my mom got me for my birthday. I am so impressed - it's one of those gifts that I didn't even realize I couldn't live without it until I got it!

This is a "Tunebase" (it probably has a more generic name) - as you can see, it hooks into the cigarette lighter or whatever in my pickup. I can plug in my iPod and listen through the radio as I'm driving along.

Since I listen to audiobooks when I'm driving (and sewing and working and knitting...), I've been listening with only one earbud to stay as legal as I can do. Now I don't have to do that! I use this every single time I get into my vehicle, so it is a very, very good thing.

Thanks again, Mom!



The boss gave me a black cocker spaniel angel ornament (sniff, sniff) and a gift certificate to the shop. I happen to have some insider knowledge that a 30% coupon for one item at the shop will be in next week's County Fair newpaper insert, so I think I might just have to wait and spend my birthday present then. (heh.)

One of our customers at the shop came by last week (on my day off, unfortunately) and left a gift for me - one of those big tubs of Red Licorice Twists. Yum! I actually left it at work because if it came home neither Mr. W. nor I would keep our hands out of it!

SS_2 I got a birthday gift from my Secret Quilting Sister! It's some wonderful paper goods and an organizer to go in my purse! Now, I don't carry a purse, but occasionally I do use a tote bag - and this fits wonderfully inside. An added benefit is that it helps the bag stand up a little bit if I need it to.


Elann n BookThe first email I opened on my birthday was one from Paperback Swap telling me that a book that I've had on my Wish List for almost 2 years was finally available. Woot! Way to start the day! There are still 325 people with that book on their Wish List. I'm kinda sorry that I can't just read it right away and send it on and make someone else's day, but it's Book 3 of a series and I wasn't gonna start the series until I had all three. Bummer, dude.

Then I went shopping at Elann. I really like this place; I can try new yarns without killing my budget. A long, long time ago (it's been years, but I can't remember how many), The Girl got me a gift certificate from Elann for my birthday or Christmas or Mother's Day... I finally 'spent' it on my birthday, ordering a "Fiddlesticks Knitting Lotus Blossom Shawl Yarn Pack in Baby Lace Merino and Silken Kydd" in Ruby and Baked Apple. (Phew! TG for copy/paste!) No specific project has been chosen for the yarns yet (keep reading and you may understand why).

July YarnIn the category of "Not Officially For My Birthday But I'll Say It Is If You Give Me Any Grief About Shopping", I picked up yarn for a wrap (the Wool-Ease) and a (red) lace project. At this point, the wrap will be either the Santiago Entrelac Wrap or the Panda Silk DK Fan Shawl. The lace project is to be determined: Every time I start searching for the perfect project for a particular yarn, it's a day-long surf-fest and I end up with more projects in my queue and one more day in which I don't actually knit.

And what did Mr. W. do for my birthday?

He started by taking me to dinner. We went to a local seafood place. Everyone who was seated and everyone (else) who walked through the door was either white-haired or bald. Once I noticed, I was not amused! Eyes narrowed, jaw clenched, I asked Mr. W., "What's the deal here? Is it some sort of birthday conspiracy?" After he stopped laughing, he kindly told me, "It's 5:00 in the afternoon. This is the early dining crowd. If we were here an hour or two later, the restaurant would have a completely different clientele."

After our early bird dinner, we went off to the mall, ostensibly to use a Border's Books coupon. While I didn't find anything I wanted (it's a very, very small bookstore in our mall), at the sporting goods store down the way I did find a pair of sandals that I have been looking for for a long, long time. (No pictures. One picture of my feet in a year is probably enough for you lot.)

And then I came home and checked that I had an adequate supply of Miss Clairol.

Early bird, my arse.

Labels: ,

permalink 5 Comments:
At 8/01/2010 1:17 PM, Blogger Barb Babbled Back:  

What wonderful gifts....glad you had a good time..

Happy Birthday!!!

At 8/02/2010 4:23 AM, Blogger Crispy Babbled Back:  

It certainly seems that you had a wonderful birthday. The old folks were probably wondering why those young people were invading their supper space LOL.

Crispy

At 8/02/2010 10:14 AM, Blogger Candace Babbled Back:  

Happy belated birthday, sounds like a great one. Sometimes its hard to get older gracefully. DH and I are senior citizens now, and a couple of months ago we were offered seats on a tram by two very nice young men. Part of me was thankful, and the other part was offended. Both parts were amazed by their courtesy.

At 8/03/2010 7:14 PM, Anonymous Gimpy Cat Babbled Back:  

Ok I have to say it, you said Mr W took you to a seafood place, was he being a bit of a raw prawn? In Australia we have an expression "Dont come the raw prawn with me" meaning: "Don't try to put one over me!" or "Don't treat me like a fool!". Early bird dinner or raw prawn - what do you think?!!

Seriously though Im so glad you had a wonderful birthday, your yarn is such a pretty colour and the book looks interesting (now you have me perusing my library catalogue, I seriously need to stay out of it, you are a bad influence!) and it sounds like you got some lovely gifts.

You deserved a great day and hoping the rest of the year between now and the next one is filled with a lot more good times (& less early bird dinners!)

xoxoxoxox

At 8/06/2010 7:49 AM, Blogger Darcie Babbled Back:  

Happy Belated Birthday, T! Love your yarn loot!

And I'm still giggling about the "early bird, my arse!"

Want to Post a Comment?

Home