Welcome!
FiberBabble Home





Happy New Year

January 01, 2010

However brief the moment, whatever would come, we had peace.  "Gale Force" by Rachel Caine ♦♦♦♦◊


Yeah, it's not the most original or inventive title, but it is truly my wish for you. I appreciate my readers, and I love making new friends all over the world through my blog and reading your comments and blog posts.

I've been feeling a bit guilty about not posting more often, even though I know I shouldn't (feel guilty). I'd like to say that I'll start to post regularly again, but I really haven't identified what's keeping me from doing it now - heaven knows it's not because I'm holed-up in my sewing room or concentrating on a challenging yarn-y project.

I've not got a lot to share in the successfully-finished quilt department. It's amazing that when you work at a quilt shop you don't have time to quilt!

TVToque FlatI have one yarn-y thing that I can show you, now that Christmas has passed.

The Hemlock Flower Tam that I made for Mom for Christmas; I was hoping that it would keep her head warm and comparatively dry without messing up her hair too much. (She worries about that sort of thing.)

TVToqueIt's a real challenge to get a decent picture of a hat while you're modelling it, I've learned.

I'm not sure how well mom liked it, but as always she was gracious. I ended up adding about ¾" more ribbing so that it fit a bit more snugly around her head; on the first try-on, she was able to pull it down over her ears like a stocking cap!


I have one more yarn-y gift thing to share, but the recipient hasn't received it yet... so there's something to look forward to. [snort]


So, back to New Year's Day, the beginning of a new year, the big Twenty-Ten. I'm thinking I'll still say Two Thousand Ten... Twenty-ten doesn't 'ring' for me.

In the last couple of years I've read blog and forum posts about New Year's Day superstitions. You're supposed to sweep out the old year*, you should eat black-eyed peas, don't cross your threshold until someone else does, nothing goes out**...

*If I sweep, I tend to want to dispose of what I've swept up. How can I do that if **nothing goes out?

That pretty much sums up my view or understanding of these superstitions. Why is it a bad thing to take something OUT of your home? Snopes.com says the year must be begun with something being added to the home before anything is subtracted from it. But if I'm taking stuff out for donation to someone who wants or needs it more than I, or if I'm ridding my home of noxious waste, or if I'm reducing the clutter in the hope of starting afresh, how is this a setting a bad precedent for the remaining year?

See, I tend to over-think at times. I'm not against superstitions (I've got a couple of whoppers in my repertoire), but apparently they have to make sense for me to take them under consideration. To embrace a superstition - or ritual, if you prefer - without an understanding of what lies beneath smacks of Cutting the End Off the Ham.

So, if I want to do laundry or eat poultry or take out the garbage today, I think I'll just go ahead and do it. I've managed to survive all these years on earth without any notable curses related to doing those things, so I'll just coast on luck a bit longer.


I've thought about New Year's Resolutions a bit this week. A few years back I got real and gave up on the whole list thing. But there is one thing I'd like to resolve to do this year:
I want to make sure to look Mr. W. in the eye every single day and tell him how much I love him.

Sure, I tell him daily (I hope!), but a lot of the time it's said in passing, at the end of a telephone call, before we roll over and go to sleep. That's all well and good, but sometimes it feels like habit and sometimes he may think that I take him for granted. I just want to get his full attention for a moment or two - and give him MY full attention - and make sure that he knows how important he is to me.


I may also attempt to lessen my use of parenthetical insertions when I write blog posts. It's either that or back off on the elipses (but certainly not both)...

Labels: ,

permalink 5 Comments:
At 1/01/2010 9:18 PM, Blogger Brenda Babbled Back:  

Happy New Year! Hope it's filled with health and happiness, and many blessings! B=)
OH, GP has spent the day correcting me, it's not two thousand and ten, it's Twenty-Ten. LOL! I feel so old, totally un-cool!

At 1/02/2010 4:17 AM, Blogger Crispy Babbled Back:  

Awww such a nice posting to read, I love your babble. As for using Parenthetical Insertions....switch to dot dot dot (it works too) LOL.

Crispy

At 1/03/2010 6:51 PM, Blogger Quilter Kathy Babbled Back:  

Here's to lots more babble in twenty ten :)
Love your new years resolution!

At 1/03/2010 7:42 PM, Blogger golo8 Babbled Back:  

Happy New Year FB... love the tam you made... wonderful resolution.. something we should all take time to do..

At 1/04/2010 3:46 PM, Anonymous Gimpy Cat Babbled Back:  

Hope you dont scare Mr W eyeballing him like that while saying "I love you", some men might find that unsettling!!! ROFLMAO Im glad you will keep on blogging when it takes your fancy, sure enjoy reading your posts and sense of humour.

Seriously though, you have to tell us your superstitions, you dropped the clanger you have a couple of big ones - tell us, we want to know!!!

Happy 2010 to you, hope it brings more than your heart could imagine or wish for.

Want to Post a Comment?

Home