Welcome!
FiberBabble Home





News from the Ditch

November 10, 2009

"Guy must've blocked," Milo said.  "A Cold Heart" by Jonathan Kellerman ♦♦♦♦◊


I've always wanted to make a Winding Ways quilt. When we decided to do a class at the shop, I frantically waved my hand in the air to make the sample - a pattern I've always wanted to try, colors that make me happy and precision pieces from the die-cut machine. Woot!

Winding Ways


I gotta tell you, this wasn't too difficult. Of course, not having to cut all of those pieces by hand was a real boon. The biggest problems I had were mainly with the black fabric - Kona cotton. It frayed like the dickens, so when I got all Type A and tried to un-sew some of the little center sections, the black literally fell to pieces.

This isn't my first brush with this fabric (oh, how quickly we forget!). I at least knew not to hit it with much of a spray from the water bottle - water + iron makes this fabric all wander-y. The weave gets all wonky (wow, listen to all of those technical terms!) and it's impossible to get back to square AND on-grain.

How's that border fabric? Pretty perfect, methinks. I've had that stuff for YEARS - quite possibly for a DECADE. I guess that's an argument for not getting rid of fabric that you haven't yet found a use for, now isn't it??

The quilting is also a bit of a departure for me: DITCH quilting. ME. Can you believe it? Okay, there's a little bit of echoing in there, and a few extensions out into the border, but nothing fancy at all. I just couldn't consider that anything other than simple would benefit the quilt.

Though still unbound, the quilt's hanging at the shop as an enticement for more people to sign up for the class... but soon it will get to come home with me and be mine, mine, MINE!!

Labels:

permalink 4 Comments:
At 11/10/2009 4:08 AM, Blogger Crispy Babbled Back:  

I love that pattern too and your little bit of echo quilting really gave it a HUGE impact. Love It!!

Crispy

At 11/10/2009 5:01 AM, Blogger Darling Jill Quilts Babbled Back:  

It looks great!! Way to go!!!

And glad to see you back to posting regularly!! :)

At 11/11/2009 12:35 AM, Blogger Deb Babbled Back:  

I love the hugs and rugs.. those lady's are wearing strawberry bottons now that I get a closer look at the faric I just love it!!
hmm I want some of that

At 11/11/2009 1:46 PM, Blogger Carrie P. Babbled Back:  

I have always liked that pattern too.
I guess die cuts are the way to do it.
Yes, perfect fabric for your border.

Want to Post a Comment?

Home