Welcome!
FiberBabble Home





Paved with Good Intentions

April 13, 2009

There came another knock at the door.  "Relic" by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child ♦♦♦♦◊

(Post #198!)

I've been hanging out on Ravelry over the weekend, mainly because I hadn't gone in and reclaimed my sewing closet (a victim of "Mom's coming to visit, throw it in HERE") and there wasn't anything that I wanted to watch on TV.

Last week (after Mom went home) I got the bright idea to make a snood to wear to church on Easter morning.

Let's start there, shall we?


What's a snood? I've always thought it was the pretty bag-like thing that you stuck your pony-tail into (for lack of a classier description). I didn't consider that it would be a bun-holder. That's called a... uh... bun-holder. But then there's also these things that are kinda like a beret on steroids that you stick all of your hair into, all hanging loose and everything. Reminds me of a mesh vegetable bag.

So, what is it? Am I just making shtuff up?

Back to the blog post:

I started out with the Rose of Sharon pattern that can be a purse or a hat. After I got through with this, any resemblance to the actual pattern is truly fictional. There is nothing wrong with the pattern. I take all responsibility.

SnoodOkay, so this is all my fault. I used totally the wrong weight of yarn on totally the wrong sized needles. I knew it early on in the adventure, but I was too stubborn to rip and re-figure.

After a while I realized that all of the yo’s and ssk’s and k2tog’s were just a waste design-wise because my gauge was so far off and nothing really showed up anyway. Did I rip and re-do? NOOOoooo. I just switched to a k2tog, yo, k2 pattern instead.

Sea CreatureIt still didn’t help.

I like the yarn (surprisingly), but this baby turned out to be more of a slimy-looking sea creature than the subtly stunning snood (bun/pony tail holder) I was hoping to wear on Easter morning.


Currently it’s doing time (unfrogged) as a mini basket/bowl (still with the dpn’s in place) holding a skein of sock yarn that I’m swatching. And a mighty fine job it’s doing, too…

In other yarny news, the Hanne Vest that I was so fired up to finish in time for Palm Sunday is still in the "needs to be blocked and then figured out" stage. Seriously:

Hanne Vest


Jewelry frame
Then there's the Knitted Lace Jewelry Frame. First off, I wanted to do the crochet version but it became very clear to me very early on that I do not have the proper hook(s) to work with #10 (bedspread) cotton. What a fiasco!


seafoam patt
The pattern is easy and easy to memorize, and after I got my hands used to working with that skinny-skinny cotton it seems to be going fairly well.

Of course, I didn't swatch so I'm going to have to keep checking it until it becomes a size that will fit into a picture frame. That I may have to find at Goodwill or somewhere. But I like it!


Cryptic yarny note to The Girl: R2's hips have been killed. All body parts are accounted for. Progress!

So, is anyone still with me? I've decided on prizes/gifts for my 200th blog post giveaway!
There will be an apron.
There will be a covered journal (not to be confused with a covered wagon or a covered bridge; the postage would kill me).
There might be a cute bookmark.
Stay tuned - I've begun work on the apron and I've chosen the fabric for the journal cover. I know better than to offer something before it's actually finished. Recipe for disaster.

Labels:

permalink 3 Comments:
At 4/13/2009 2:29 PM, Blogger Cindy/KS Babbled Back:  

I've always thought of a snood as being something to go over a bun. I think what you are wanting is sometimes called a hairnet. In fact, I think the lacy #10 bedspread cotton pattern would make a great looking one!

At 4/13/2009 2:43 PM, Blogger Fiber Babble Babbled Back:  

ROFLOL!!! NOW you tell me! (and you're right, it would make a cool 'whatever it is'!)

At 4/24/2009 4:58 PM, Blogger Otter Babbled Back:  

what is that yummy yarn you are using?
Hi there, long time, no chat!
Cyndye from Tx (a hen)

Want to Post a Comment?

Home