Welcome!
FiberBabble Home





Testy and Tasty

February 07, 2009

Abandoned book: "Mirror, Mirror: A Novel" by Gregory Maguire ♦♦◊◊◊

This winter I've either been particularly fickle or I've just run into some real clunkers in my reading choices. In fact, I broke down and created a virtual bookshelf labeled "Abandoned" in my Goodreads library. Today I discovered that I'm not the only person with a bookshelf labeled "Abandoned". In fact, there are over 2,500 books tagged as "Abandoned".

Today I begin sharing books from my "Abandoned" shelf as well as those that I actually finish (and usually enjoy). I have written reviews for many of these abandoned books (not necessarily all bad) to explain why I dumped them, so feel free to click on over if that sort of thing interests you.

I have no idea if this is meaningful in any way, but there you go.

Now, onto the Tasty part - though the preceding isn't really all that testy, especially considering the source.

Oh, wait - non-parenthetical insertion here: I am still resisting the temptation (or, uh, need) to make a label/category called "Food" for my blog. I sure talk about food a lot. And post a lot of pictures. The last post had to do with the promise of food. This post is about to talk about food. I'm sure you'll get the report after the Annual Meeting (more food), and I haven't even kept you up-to-date on my Artisan Bread Baking Adventures!

This still isn't a food blog. I just impress myself pretty easily and I just have to share.

Judy over at Patchwork Times says great things about a cajun seasoning called Slap Ya Mama. She is offering a multi-pack of the seasoning in this post to one lucky reader who posts a picture and the recipe of their favorite cajun dish.

Well, Judy, I live in the Pacific Northwest. The closest I've gotten to "cajun country" was Texarkana and that was just driving past on Hwy 30 between Little Rock and Dallas.

BUT! I do faithfully read some foodie blogs, so all is not lost. Last fall I discovered Hurricane Rice, a recipe shared by Alanna Kellogg of A Veggie Venture.  Mr. "I'll eat anything but Jell-o" actually says he likes it, rather than the usual "It's fine."  Mom asked for the recipe. And I could eat it every week (though I try to control myself).

It's got shrimp and andouille or another sausage. You don't have the "real" trinity because there's no celery, but there is brown rice and cayenne and mmmmm.... bacon grease.

hurricane rice


So, Judy, that's my 'entry'. I'm not sure if this is the real thing, but here in the northwest...

Well, there ya go.

Labels: ,

permalink 4 Comments:
At 2/08/2009 2:10 PM, Blogger Edna Babbled Back:  

MMmmmm - that looks SOOOO good!! Sure wish my guy liked green peppers. Its hard to leave them out of these things and still get the same kind of flavours. Now... quit makin me drool!!

At 2/08/2009 3:10 PM, Blogger Peggy Babbled Back:  

Your entry looks so good. I love rice no matter how it is made.

At 2/10/2009 8:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous Babbled Back:  

Ohhhh! That looks SO good. I am definitely printing this out for hubby to cook!

At 2/28/2009 2:37 AM, Blogger Ketutar Babbled Back:  

I'm at goodreads too :-)
http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/733492

There's a couple more things to be added to the blessings list... I can read, I have access to plenty of good books, I own books so that I can go back and reread good books, I have friends who read, and who like similar books, so we can discuss...

Want to Post a Comment?

Home