Welcome!
FiberBabble Home





Dear Apron Swap Partner,

March 01, 2008


At 12:01 a.m. today (March 1), I was choosing buttons for the apron I've made for you.

Apron Reverse Side


I sure hope you like the apron - it's fully lined (you might even call it reversible). Don't panic about the fit - you are way skinnier than I am.

Apron PocketI'm not all that excited about the pocket. I won't be offended in the least if you decide to remove the pocket. Like I'd ever know, but you know what I mean.

ButtonI've sewn the neck strap on with buttons, so if it's too short or too long, it will be easy for you to alter. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that you'll need to shorten the neck strap - I think that in addition to being way skinnier than I am, you're probably shorter than I am. All straps are cut on the length-of-grain so that they don't stretch out so much. (The picture's more yellow-y than it should be)

I guess I "made up" the pattern. Actually, I know I made up the pattern, since a pre-written pattern would NOT have had me doing things the hard way. Seriously. The waist tie/waist band? I don't think I could have picked a more difficult way to apply it. Fortunately, that was all my pain (and I deserved it for not thinking ahead) and you hopefully won't be able to tell that I had to hold my mouth just right and raise my left foot 4 inches off the floor while whistling through my nose to get the waistband on correctly.


The 4-inch wide white band of fabric at the bottom of the skirt is machine embroidered - uh, the new-old-fashioned way, with a regular old sewing machine. The butterflies are embroidered with a variegated rayon thread in the "Citrus" color way.
Oh! I am reminded of the flickr group, showing other swappers' finished aprons. Go here to see what's posted - they're all wonderful!!

Okay, so here's the deal, though - I know I waited until the last minute (truly, I have been pretty fully focused on another, massive, project - thank goodness for the leap day!), but except for the buttons, I actually did get the apron finished by the deadline.

The deadline, though, is for mailing, not for sewing (she says, wearing her pedant hat) and right there is where I messed up. You see, I live just north of the middle of nowhere and our itty post office is not open on Saturdays. Another example of (me) not planning ahead.

Let's look on the bright side: This just gives me an extra day or two to find some extra goodies to toss into the package before I mail it on Monday!

Labels:

permalink 1 Comments:
At 3/05/2008 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous Babbled Back:  

Thank you so much! I received it today. I love the embroidery, and the color choice was perfect! My daughter also spent about 5 minutes giving kisses to the smiley face buttons. I do have to shorten the neck strap - not for lack of tallness, but lack of boobage! Thanks also for the extra "guilt" gifts, that was so sweet of you, too.

Want to Post a Comment?

Home