Welcome!
FiberBabble Home





Semi-Resolutions, The Yarn Version

January 02, 2007

This is the yarn-related post about my semi-resolutions. I've just spent a long, long time writing this up, and then decided that I was just out of control. Exactly how many readers are willing to slog through yet another ginormous post, I ask you? Here lies the massively edited yet still long-winded version:

In addition to having a little bit of time this season to keep up with my Yahoo! knitting groups' posts, I've also been able to (for once) keep up with my Bloglines subscriptions. All this keeping up is providing hours of entertaining reading and lots of food for thought. The current common themes I've found are using what you already have and finishing what you've started. Well, hey. I can play that game!

Apparently a lot of this noise started with a "Knit From Your Stash 2007" post on Wendy's blog. Of course, I didn't see it first-hand there, but instead read about The Plan on Annie's blog. Then I saw it here and here and saw references to The Plan all over my Yahoo! groups. Jody put a bit of a "get real" spin on the reduction plan, with some additional gems ("Hobbies aren't supposed to be stressful...").

Okay, I'm in. Kinda. (That's the "semi" part of the resolutions.)
It's all Wendy's faultHere's my button, linked to Annie, since once again it was her post that got me interested.

I will, of course, need to modify and personalize The Plan. Here's what I'm thinking:

Knit From Your Stash 2007: Guidelines for A Weak But Out-Of-Storage-Space Knitter

1. The Knit-From-Your-Stash-a-Thon will start January 1, 2007 and run through September 30, 2007 -- a period of nine months.

2. I will not buy any yarn during that period, with the following exceptions:

-Killer Elann deals can be seriously considered, but only if I have a specific project in mind and it's already been math'd to death so I can cast on as soon as I receive the yarn.
-Wool may be purchased in pursuit of a successful felted hat* (or other felted project, at least until I'm over the whole felting thing).
-If I am knitting something and run out of yarn, I may purchase enough to complete the project.

3. I get one "Get Out of Jail Free" card, PLUS:

-I am allowed to receive gifts of yarn, even if said gifts are the result of begging, cajoling, bargaining and/or pitching a fit.
-Christmas gift certificates/cash and pre-2007 store credits (back to Elann) can be considered 2006 purchases, and therefore don't count.
Wow. I've seen a cat-attacked hank of yarn with fewer loopholes...

*Five unsuccessful hats to date. I'm determined to get one or ten that actually fit AND don't look dorky. I have a new secret weapon, though. Be assured that you'll definitely be seeing more posts about the ongoing quest.

I also have a couple of UFO/FO resolutions to add:
Get back to the Kinda Bella sweater

Part of Kinda Bella has been frogged because I didn't like the looks of my increases at the armhole. I have the yarn, I have the pattern. I just need to focus.
Work on the Lotus Blossom Lace Shawl
Seriously. It's still the size of a dishcloth. I truly don't need to be on cold meds to work on it. Focus, focus, focus.

Of course, all of this de-stashing, UFO-finishing and these good intentions are dependent on one tiny thing:
Go on that scavenger hunt to find all of my yarn and UFO's. Get them organized so I can make A Plan.
You know me, I'm all about having A Plan.

Labels:

permalink 1 Comments:
At 1/03/2007 10:37 AM, Blogger Coarine Babbled Back:  

Good for you! While I think it is going ot be difficult I am going to give it one hellofa try!!

Want to Post a Comment?

Home