Welcome!
FiberBabble Home





The Bias-Knit Vest

September 13, 2006

Well. Hmmm. I was concerned about the colors, but it seemed to be okay after the fact.

The pictures don't do it - OR ME - justice. Makes me look pretty square. I don't think that it looks that bad in person... I got lots of compliments when I wore it to church on Sunday.

Be kind, please.

Bias Knit Vest Front Bias Knit Vest Back

Bias Knit Vest Side


The pattern is loosely based on the "Sonoma" pattern in Module Magic (by Ginger Luters).
Yarn is Moda Ticker Tape in Festival (on clearance for a buck a ball! How could I resist?). Edging done with TLC Wiggles in "Grape", a 5-shell/3-shell crochet along the front edges, with a sc-ch1-sc along the back and sides.

Really, really liked the technique, though the instructions in the book confused me a bit. THAT's why the pattern is loosely based on the one in the book. Oh, and I really dislike garter stitch, so I did stockinette with just a garter ridge every 15 rows or so.

Next up is The Poodle Vest. I have some navy Bernat Boucle for which I'm trying to find a non-poodle-y pattern. The first two attempts are in the trash now. The current version is 4 rows stockinette separated by two rows of garter stitch in a different Ticker Tape color, Monet. So far I've got from shoulder to boob on the right side, working on the left. Eventually I'll hook up the fronts with the back at the pits and just work it all in one piece. Maybe. (After I wrote that I started having misgivings about poodle-ness puddling on my hips. Not a pleasant prospect.) I wonder why I thought it was a good idea to buy this yarn?

Oh! And tomorrow I'm going to stop at Unraveled in Vancouver to pick up some more Cascade 220 in light blue. My first attempt at making a PETaL purse was not a screaming success, so I'm trying again. (Didja see that? It was a teaser for a future post!)

I also cut up a Pendleton Wool sweater I picked up at Goodwill and stitched it into a "back friendly" bag. Felted it by hand for about an hour. Man, was it dirty! You know, I hope, that Goodwill does not clean the clothing items donated. I have no problem shopping there occasionally, but I always, always have to wash my hands after I leave. Eeewww.

Oh, yeah. The bag. After an hour it started to shrink and felt, but has a long way to go before it's sturdy enough to use. I sent it home with L - SHE has a washer that will agitate the soup out of the bag. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out! (Look out! Another teaser!!!)

Labels:

permalink 1 Comments:
At 9/26/2006 1:53 PM, Blogger Otter Babbled Back:  

Love Love Love Lust after the vest!!
You may be right about all the poodleness. If it poodles at your chest, then don't let it poodle at your hips or you will be one big poodle!
I envy you being able to run to a local store for Cascade....sigh
Cyanide

Want to Post a Comment?

Home